Site Search
Google Search
Breaking News: Typhoon Lan Closes In On Japan     - | -     Police Arrest 3 Over Nazi Salutes, Shots At Protesters     - | -     Jimmy Carter: I Would Go To North Korea     - | -     Ex Presidents Grace Hurricane Relief Concert     - | -     U.S.-Backed Militias Seize Key Oil Field In Syria     - | -     Abe Wins Japan's Election, Wants To Change Pacifist Constitution
Can't Call the Police? Here's Who To Call Instead
Get Features & Columns Alerts

11 Oct 2017 01:48 PM EST

The recent uproar surrounding taking a knee to protest police brutality raises an important practical question: Who do you call for help when you can’t call the cops? According to LifeHacker, prominent civil rights attorney John L. Burris says the first thing to do is to talk to civic and religious leaders instead. These people have stature the police have to respect, and puts pressure on the department to be responsible. Likewise, Burris recommends documenting every incident carefully, getting an attorney through the National Police Accountability Project, and lodging a complaint with your local civilian complaint review board--which puts the police on notice that they are being watched. Finally, don't contact the media without some help from someone who is pretty media-savvy. How the story is written or is received is hard to control.

Post Your Comment
Excellent Very Good Good Fair Poor

Recently Posted Comments
AllMediaNY AllMediaNY AllMedaiNY