30 Oct 2012 11:59 AM EST
- by Sarah Jordan, Contributing Writer; Image: Strong flooding in the Lower East Side led to power outtages for Manhattan south of 39th St.
The following updates have come out of a joint press conference given by Mayor Bloomberg and Governor Cuomo:
- 7 East River subway lines are still flooded. These lines connect Brooklyn and Queens to Manhattan.
- Limited bus service to be restored by 5 PM today.
- There's a boat on a Metro North track that is hampering service there.
- Taxi drivers will be able to pick up multiple fares at once.
- Roads should be cleared by tomorrow.
- NYC public schools are closed Wednesday, October 31.
- ConEd should begin restoring power within days, with Governor Cuomo classifying previous estimates of a 2-week restoration time as "unacceptable."
- The Brooklyn Battery and Holland tunnels are still closed and flooded. The same is true with the Queens Midtown Tunnel.
- Area bridges are re-opening, but all bridges in the Rockaways are closed.
- Drinking water in New York is clean and may have a different taste due to extra chlorine that State officials added in as a precaution.
More updates within the hour.
Facebook says it will begin test flights later this year of a solar-powered drone with the wingspan of a Boeing 737, the next stage of its campaign to deliver Internet service to remote parts of the world.
The sentencing phase of convicted Colorado movie theater gunman James Holmes was briefly interrupted Thursday.